Open Letter to Athletic Edge Sports & Fitness Members and Supporters
Since the founding of Athletic Edge, our goal has been to serve the local community of Washington and the broader surrounding counties to provide one of the highest quality fitness and sports training facilities in eastern North Carolina and given the growth in our membership base, we are excited to keep pursuing that objective. As our business has received continued support, we recognize the need for growth and expansion of our existing facilities, which led us to purchase adjacent property, located between the streets of Fifth & Harrington on the corner of Berry Avenue, earlier this year for the purpose of building & developing a completely new building to accommodate our continued growth.
Since the purchase of the additional property, some of you may be aware of an initiative we are pursuing with the City Council of Washington to close a small portion of Berry Avenue between our existing facility and the newly purchased adjacent property. The purpose of this initiative was simply to allow us to develop the new building as a direct abutment to our existing facility for easier operational logistics and ease of use by members. Despite receiving preliminary support from individuals in leadership positions within management of various City departments, our proposal was denied by the City Council last Monday, April 9, due to what we believe was a lack of full understanding of our proposal and business objectives by City Council members.
However, we want to be clear to our loyal membership base that our expansion plans will NOT be deterred by this decision, we are actively working with the appropriate city leaders that truly understand our desire to serve the community & its constituents and are hopeful this work will yield positive benefits for our business and most importantly, YOU, our members. Rest assured, Athletic Edge will pursue all avenues possible to expand & grow our facilities, for your benefit, in the immediate future.
We are not only business owners, we are also life-long residents of the town, Athletic Edge members ourselves and are committed to providing facilities & services for the long-term benefit of the community we all live in. Please know how much we appreciate your continued support of Athletic Edge and our mission to serve the health, fitness & sports training development needs of Washington & eastern North Carolina. Stay tuned for the release of the Phases of our Expansion Plan, which will be available on our website, Facebook page and in print at Athletic Edge.
Thank you again,
Athletic Edge Sports & Fitness Management
Child Care is currently unavailable at Athletic Edge. We will offer Child Care again when our new Kids’ Club room is completed.
Our Kids’ Club attendants provide plenty of activities, games, and crafts to get kids moving, playing, and making new friends!
Drop-In Rates: $5 per child per session
- A quick sign-in form is required. Please let us know where in the gym you plan to be during your visit, so we may find you if needed.
- For security reasons, only the parent who dropped off the child may also pick up or sign out the child.
- Parents must remain in the facility for the entire duration of their child’s stay.
- Food and beverages are not permitted, except for beverages that are labeled and brought in non-spill containers.
In order to help make your workout experience more convenient, Athletic Edge will soon be adding additional child care times!
- Youth Fitness – Creative, fun class with high-energy workouts that will keep them coming back for more! This non-competitive class focuses on increasing energy, endurance, muscle tone, strength, and flexibility through exciting games and activities.
- Teen Fitness – Fun, high energy, cross-training exercise class! Each class offers constant variety and is open to all skill sets. Main focus on cardio endurance, strength, stamina, coordination, and flexibility. All workouts are scaled and modified to each teen’s personal ability. This class promotes overall health through hands-on nutrition education and individual coaching all within a positive social environment.
- Fit Start – This class is designed to help you navigate the gym, show you how to correctly use the equipment, answer any questions you might have, and much more!
- Body Sculpting – Core conditioning in a non-aerobic, muscle-toning workout session; Work all muscle groups with a variety of strengthening and conditioning exercises. This athletic-based sculpting class tones upper and lower body using resistance such as hand weights, body bars, and your own body weight. A great way to define, sculpt and build muscle!
- Cardio Boxing – Awesome fat-burning and strengthening workout! This class is designed to increase strength in the upper and lower body while focusing on speed, agility, and balance. Provides a great challenge for core and abdominal muscles and an overall cardiovascular challenge!
- Boot Camp – A whole body, HIIT style (High Intensity Interval Training) exercise program that can be modified for the earliest beginner to the most advanced athletes. This class is a total body challenge designed to combine resistance training and cardio that targets strength building, agility, and muscular endurance through various stations. We want to keep you guessing – each class is designed to be different and push you out of your comfort zone! We will challenge you every class! Our goal is to offer encouragement rather than intimidation. We want you to have tons of fun – but be prepared for some high intensity training!
- Cycle Fit – This awesome indoor cycling class is a great cardiovascular workout. Ride to music, burn calories, strengthen your core, and improve your overall fitness. You control the intensity! All levels welcome.
- Cycle Infusion- 30 minutes of Cycle Fit and 30 minutes of intense resistance /weight /core training for a great full body workout
- Zumba – A fusion of Latin and Contemporary music/ dance routines featuring aerobic/fitness interval training with a combination of fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body
- Kickboxing and Self Defense – A full body workout and self-defense all in one! Centered around women, our self-defense classes aren’t just about building strength and learning a variation of blocks and attacks—it’s about mental preparation as well. Learn the techniques you need to defend yourself against a potential attacker and be able to work through the stress to keep safe.
- Sports Conditioning – Looking to gain that competitive edge? A strength and conditioning class that emphasizes constantly-varied, high-intensity functional movement. This class focuses on cardiovascular endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy, maximizing your performance and fitness for any physical challenge or activity! Take your sport to the next level.
- Small Group Personal Training – Follow custom designed workouts that combine the expertise of a certified personal trainer with the motivation and familiarity of exercising in a group with others just like you. The small group setting allows for more personal attention between you and the fitness instructor in order to focus on correct technique and measure your progress.
- Strength Training 101- A non-aerobic, muscle-toning class, usually focused on core and muscle strength. Most use weight bars, exercise bands, dumbbells, or a combination of these. You perform traditional weight-training moves in a class setting under the guidance of a nationally ranked Olympic lifter. Correct form and safety is a main component.
- YOGA – In a power yoga class, students will build strength, flexibility and concentration while cleansing the body and calming the mind. You can expect a great cardiovascular and strength building workout combined with breath work.
* BODY SCULPTING, YOGA, STRENGTH TRAINING 101, and BOOT CAMP CLASSES ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR MEMBERSHIP! ENJOY OUR OTHER CLASSES FOR A SMALL FEE!
Indoor Cycling Classes Offered!
Blast calories in an indoor cycling class that provides a total-body workout! Work to your edge, riding to the rhythm with beat-bumping playlists. Dig deep into your core and rev-up your metabolism. Join us for the best hour of your day! Leave feeling stronger, clearer, and energized!
All levels welcome!
Check out our new Health & Wellness Bar!
Power your day with a delicious protein shake in your favorite flavor!